One of the wifi routers knocked out today for no apparent reason. I tried to ping the router and it’s unavailable.
Looking at the Asus RT-AC66U I don’t see a power light on. I press the power button and it seems to move down but does not stay in place.
A quick search reveals that this is an extremely common occurrence on Asus routers in this era. Thanks to snbforums.com for this one.
I wanted a quick and dirty fix to get this thing powered back on again.
- Remove the four rubber feet.
- Remove the four Phillips screws under the rubber feet.
- Use a plastic prying tool to remove the cover. If you break the tabs it doesn’t matter as the previous screws will hold it in place.
- Remove the little U shape metal clip that holds the spring.
- Remove the spring.
- Add the black push button.
- Assemble the router.
- The power switch stays in the ON position (and you can no longer turn the router OFF other than by removing the power supply).
- I simply put some black electrical tape of the power button so it’ll never fall out.
The power switch once opened was a blue stemmed version that failed.
I purchased two of these in 2015 so it seems to be a matter of time before the other one goes. These were certainly not cheap either.
Poor quality control here Asus. I’ve toggled the power switch a handful of times during the entire lifespan. This is an embarrassing failure point.