My first dealings with Refurb.io was 2 years ago when I ordered a refurbished Thinkpad T420 laptop. I normally stay far away from anything refurbished but I heard some good things regarding the quality of the goods. They pride themselves on offering grade A refurbished equipment with a genuine Windows license.
The order was placed and delivered within a reasonable time. I was quite impressed with the status of the laptop as it looked very lightly used cosmetically and the battery only had several charges on it.
Flash forward 2 years later and I was looking for another T420 so I decided to order another one with the only difference being that it was outfitted with 8 gigabytes of ram.
My experiences were totally different this time as I actually had to deal with their customer service.
The timeline is as follows:
- order placed for Thinkpad T420 i5 2520m 2.5GHz, 8GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Windows 10 Professional laptop
- inquired about shipping status and was told it would be shipping on the 26/27
- item received
- laptop has the following issues:
- power supply barrel connector has green corrosion all over it indicating improper storage of the unit and laptop
- the hard disk contained the slim version of hard disk (7mm) along with custom rails instead of the standard size hard disk (9.5mm) with appropriate rails
- touchpad and buttons texture completely worn off due to extreme use and abuse
- laptop lid and palmrest covered with a plastic skin that would serve no other purpose than to hide defects
- the windows 10 pro refurbished key has had the scratch-off portion already removed indicating tampering
- the 2 installed memory sticks are missing the fru (field replacement unit) sticker indicating non-genuine parts
- battery has some blemishes and a cycle count well over 200 indicating very heavy usage
- called 1-844-573-3872 numerous times with no answers and voicemail was full
- email sent 2pm indicating issues
- received email at 4:21pm wanting proof of purchase, serial numbers of the unit and photos
- email sent at 4:54pm with all requested information explicitly asking for refund and prepaid shipping label
- called 1-844-573-3872 numerous times with no answer and received an automated prompt asking to leave a message for a random mailbox number
- called 1-844-573-3872 spoke to a represenative about rma process around 2:30pm
- email received with rma instructions and prepaid shipping label shortly thereafter
- shipped via canada post
- delivered and signed at destination at 11:47am
- email sent asking about refund status at 11:02pm
- previous rma email stated 5-7 business days for a refund yet still no refund issued
- no response to my email
- launched paypal dispute 12:09am
- seller refunded at 1:11pm
- refund processed by my bank
Based on my experience it would seem that there is a single person who is in their customer service department. The fact that their voicemail isn't even setup to announce a business name is very unprofessional. This number is extremely hit or miss and tends to err on the side of miss 95% of the time.
Refurb.io seems to be the retail facing frontend of CNB Computers.
I was very pleased with my original order 2 years ago but since this last order I will not be dealing with them again.