My ThermoPro TP-03 Digital Instant-Read Thermometer cracked several months ago after little use. This is simply a design defect as they use a cheap plastic overall and the joint where the metal probe enters the housing flexes and eventually breaks.
This was received as a gift so no receipt was available.
I contacted ThermoPro via a basic web form. I provide details about the issue along with photos.
The process starts on April 4, 2020.
I receive an email stating that their single employee is out of the office and will reply on Monday April 6, 2020.
A week passes with no response. I email enquiring about the lack of response.
A month later. I receive a response asking for the order number and shipping address.
I respond stating it was a gift therefore there is no order number. Furthermore, I ask why such a simple response has taken a month.
Another week passes with no reply.
I find and call the number on the contact page. 1-877-515-7797. Enough is enough.
Within 10 minutes I have provided my information and am told that the package will be shipped out directly from Amazon and will be delivered within two weeks. I should also be receiving a shipment notification via email.
A week and a half passes and the replacement shows up in the mail on May 12, 2020. No shipping email was ever received.
The enquiries via email have still gone answered. The ticket is still open with no response.
COVID-19 is no excuse for simply dropping customer service especially via email. This is an extremely low effort form of support and they can’t even do this right.
I must also point out that the reviews on their site are either fake or manipulated. I posted a review several months ago, the post count increased by 1 yet is nowhere to be found. There are no dates on the reviews and they look very suspicious.
- 2020-04-04 initiated warranty claim
- 2020-04-14 email sent asking why no response
- 2020-05-02 response asking for order number
- 2020-05-06 response asking for shipping address
- 2020-05-04 supposed to ship in 2 weeks
- 2020-05-12 received replacement